[ltp] Installing rpms in alternate directories

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:11:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, James McKenzie wrote:

> What it looks like is that gnome-session is hard coded to
> look at /usr/lib as well as rhbg.  This is causing several problems.

I guess some applications use dlopen() on libraries. Others have
libraries in /usr/lib/subdir (and the subdir isn't listed in ld.conf),
and use wrapper scripts to manage theis.

> I am waiting on the release of FC3 to see if this problem is
> addressed.  If not, I'll be looking a different distro.

This appears to be an application issue - not a distribution issue.

(not that I'm an expert on this- but) my recommendation is to rsync
/usr/lib completely to a different location - and mount it is
appropriately (if not use a soft-link). But I don't know all the
issues you have..

this is way OT on this list.

Satish