[ltp] Q: safe partition resize tool?

T. Ivarsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:37:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Oleg Sverdlov <oleg@ols.co.il>

> I want to reduce the size of the main partition to create space for=20
> extended partition to install Linux.
>=20
> Is it safe to remove the main partition, and create a new partition?
>=20
> The question is, what tool can you recommend that will make no harm to=20
> hidden partition? Any hints to use Linux utilities? Is 'parted' safe to=
=20
> use?

At the beginning, I started out with PartitionMagic to resize the XP partit=
ion to make room for Linux. PM is very simple to use, and I believe you won=
't even see the hidden IBM partition.

Recently I resized my /home partition to make room for another one (playing=
 around with LFS). IIRC, QTParted cannot resize an ext3 partition. It can r=
esize other filesystems but not ext3. Instead I used parted which can resiz=
e ext3. It may be that QTParted can see the hidden partition, I'm not sure.=
 parted cannot see the partition (unless you unhide it in BIOS).

T.
--=20
http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.as=
p?SRC=3Dlycos10