[ltp] Re: Weird keyboard problem

Ted Cook linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:15:54 -0700

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2004, Ted Cook wrote:
>
>>I'm having a very weird problem with my T42. I have a mini-dock, and
>>haven't used it off the dock for quite some time. When I remove it from
>>the dock, some of my keys do not work properly. Specifically, the u, i,
>>o, p, j, k, l, etc. all become mapped to the alternative values printed
>>in the lower right corner of the key. For example, when I depress the u,
>>I get a 4, when I press the i a 5.
>>
>>This happens both under Linux (Xandros) and XP. When placed back in the
>>mini-dock, the keys on both the standard and my external keyboard
>>function properly.
>>
>>One other note, it appears the keys function properly at the login
>>prompt, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to type my password.
>>
>>I hope there is a simple and quick fix for this, as I am leaving town
>>tomorrow, and I was counting on using this on the road.
>

> You have the 'numlock' key on; those are the keys that remap to that.
>
> Hit either shift-scrlk or fn-scrlk and it should go away nicely. :)
>
>     Daniel
For some reason, those keys (and every other possible combination I
tried) have no impact on numlock under my Xandros installation. In the
mini-dock, my full size keyboard's numlock key works fine.

I swear I tried every possible combination under XP last night too, with
no impact, but this morning the shift-scrlk combo worked fine to turn it
off.

-Ted

--
Ted Cook