[ltp] Re: Weird keyboard problem

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Ted Cook wrote:

> Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > On 21 Oct 2004, Ted Cook wrote:
> >
> >>I'm having a very weird problem with my T42. I have a mini-dock, and
> >>haven't used it off the dock for quite some time. When I remove it from
> >>the dock, some of my keys do not work properly. Specifically, the u, i,
> >>o, p, j, k, l, etc. all become mapped to the alternative values printed
> >>in the lower right corner of the key. For example, when I depress the u,
> >>I get a 4, when I press the i a 5.
> >>
> >>This happens both under Linux (Xandros) and XP. When placed back in the
> >>mini-dock, the keys on both the standard and my external keyboard
> >>function properly.
> >>
> >>One other note, it appears the keys function properly at the login
> >>prompt, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to type my password.
> >>
> >>I hope there is a simple and quick fix for this, as I am leaving town
> >>tomorrow, and I was counting on using this on the road.
> >

> > You have the 'numlock' key on; those are the keys that remap to that.
> >
> > Hit either shift-scrlk or fn-scrlk and it should go away nicely. :)
> >
> For some reason, those keys (and every other possible combination I
> tried) have no impact on numlock under my Xandros installation. In the
> mini-dock, my full size keyboard's numlock key works fine.

Shift-numlk (scrlk) works under SuSE 9.1 in the console, but the change is
not reflected in a running KDE session.  I did not try starting KDE
_after_ numlk was invoked.

LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al