[ltp] TP T4xx Wireless Options

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:44:58 +0200

> 1) Cisco
I don't know about that one, but I recall a discussion (I think it was late
last year) where one post implied that it worked, but I don't know any
details. Try searching the archives or the web.

> 2) Intel
Intel will work, there are opensource drivers for both the 11Mbps and the
54Mbps cards (ipw2100 and ipw2200 respectively). These AFAIK still lack
support for advanced stuff like monitoring and hostap, but they are being
actively developed with explicit support from Intel. I got a ipw2100
secondhand and it works just fine in my T40p.

> 3) IBM
This one ist based on an Atheros chipset, and there is a driver for it
(madwifi) that is partly opensource but uses a binary-only HAL module. While
madwifi supposedly supports IBM cards, and many people semm to have had
success with it, I only got it to work in the widest sense of "work", as it
would fail to associate with APs unless the AP's MAC adress was explicitely
given, wouldn't roam between APs in the same Cell, or just plain fail to do
anything. I pulled a new CVS version monthly for about 8 months without
getting one that really works, and while there are some talented coders
behind this project, I don't see them getting anywhere soon without support
from Atheros. I personally advise you to stay away from this one, at least
for now.

My personal advice would be Intel, the drivers are good despite their young
age, and they can only get better. I don't think there should be any real
differences in performance between the cards, but I noticed a serious
increase in range with the intel card over atheros, before switching my range
was guite a bit lower than that of a friends laptop who also has the intel
card, now it is on par. But you should do some research on your own,
especially on the cisco card.
HTH,
	Matthias