[ltp] Re: fan problem on R51

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:37:31 +0200

Subrahmanyam Wuppalapati wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to linux. I somehow managed to install Linux for the
> first time in my life on my thinkpad R51..thanks to the info on
> various websites. However there seems to be having a problem with my
> cpu fan...it looks like its always running that too only when I am on
> linux and it makes an awful noise. I looked on the web but couldn't
> find a reasonable answer and solution. Will appreciate if somebody can
> tell me what to do....

Try installing powernowd for cpu frequency scaling. It runs great on my
T42p with the following options: -q -m 0 -l 50 -p 500 -s 200000

In addition, get the Dynamic-Clocks Patch for your X server, so the radeon
chip does not run full speed all the time (the fan is cooling both CPU and
GPU)

With both installed and the notebook (almost) idle, I get extended periods
of total fan silence.

br,
	Fionn