[ltp] Re: fan problem on R51

fritsch@mond linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:40:42 +0200

--------------enig93F401221C50E091E45D9252

Moritz Karbach wrote:

>Hi Konstantin,
>

>>there is a description for debian sarge:
>>
>>http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/~graziano/PowerPlay.html
>>

>thanks for the link. But I guess I need a little help on installing the
>patch...
>
>1. I got the sources
>2. [empty]
>3. where exactly should 'debian/patches' be?
>4. I dont have a dpkg-build command, only a dpkg-buildpackages one. But the
>latter produces nothing but errors...
>
>I appreciate your help,
>
>- Moritz

just a little description (tested with debian unstable, I assume you
have debian running)

mkdir temp #create temp directory
cd temp
apt-get source xserver-xfree86 #fetch source packages
cd xfree86-4.3.0.dfsg.1/debian/patches/ #go to the patches directory
wget  http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/~graziano/999-radeon-pm.diff #gets the
patch into the debian specific patches directory
cd ../../ #you are now in temp/xfree86-4.3.0.dfsg.1
dpkg-buildpackage #xservers are being build go for a coffe

When finished:
cd ..
mkdir newfiles
dpkg -x
dpkg -x xserver-xfree86_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb newfiles/ #extract the
deb file where your new radeon/ati modul is to your tempdirectory

Make a backup of /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o and
usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o

and just copy the files from
newfiles/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o and ati_drv.o into
your /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/
directory. I assume that your currently running Xserver is exactly the
same version, that you build from deb soure...

Add to your XF86Config-4:
Option          "DynamicClocks" "true"

I hope, I did not forget anything, I did this yesterday on debian
unstable, so if you want to have my compiled modules, you can download
them here:
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unatk/media/radeonclock.tar.bz2 (build
for unstable debian dfsg.1-8)

Peter