[ltp] Mounting

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:07:59 -0400

Hi All

In the last Dunedin Paul was so gracious to help with my crashed laptop.
Thanks to Paul I can now boot the computer into root and as root I can=20
send/receive email which will be the easy to transfer the data I am tryin=
g to=20
recover.=20

For those of you who are wandering what happened I crashed a Mandrake 9.1=
=20
system by visiting some web site which apparently had a java script which=
=20
trashed /home. Attempts by myself to recover by reinstalling the system=20
failed with such attempts finally destroying system boot. Paul was so=20
gracious as to modify the boot such that system now boots directly but /h=
ome=20
is still obviated.=20

Currently I am stilltrying to extract critical file data from a directory=
 I=20
called Common_Data.

As originally set up partitions were as follows per cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda5 /home/trunk/Common_Dara vfat  =20
     iocharset=3Diso8859-1,codepage=3D850,umask=3D0 0 0
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0=20
/dev/hda8 /home ext3=20
/dev/hda9 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda10 /home/trunk/Linux_Data reiserfs notail,noatime 1 2
/dev/pts devpts mode=3D0620 0 0

The following attempts were made by Paul and Myself to mount=20
/home/trunk/Common_Data
First Paul attempted to mount this partition under /mnt/data and then I=20
attempted to mount it under /mnt/Common_Data by use of the following comm=
and:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/data
mount -t auto /dev/hda5 /mnt/data
mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/Common_Data=09
mount -t auto /dev/hda5 /mnt/Common_Data

The following error message was received:
Mount:   wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda5, or too m=
any=20
mounted file systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to proceed to mount this partitio=
n so=20
that the data may be extrated.

Thanks
Frank