[ltp] Sending email from laptops?

ben linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:32:41 -0700

Hi!  Apologies for the non-Thinkpad-specific question, but it's
definitely a laptop question, and I'm writing this from a Thinkpad :)

What kinds of solutions do y'all use for sending email from the
laptop?  Often I can't send because the receiver recognises that I'm
spoofing my outgoing address (among things) and (wisely) bounces my
mail.  What I think I'd like is something like this: my MTA (currently
Postfix) logs me in to the pop3 server from which I retrieve my email,
and use that as an authenticated relay.

I actually use pop to retrieve email to my desktop (permanent 'net
connection, lots of disk space, etc).  Yes, it's nice to be able to
send straight from my laptop, since I can write email while away from
a network, etc.  And no, my desktop is behind a firewall so I can't
run an "open" relay on it.

POP before SMTP isn't quite what I'm looking for: since it's my
desktop running pop the pop server won't recognise my laptop when I go
to send (I could log in to the pop server from my laptop before
sending email, but that's ugly, since I'd have to make sure that I'd
just done a "null fetchmail" shortly before every non-local delivery
request lest the mail just bounce.  It could be done, but a more
elegant solution would be less inelegant :)

Something like this is done in some MUAs, I think (like Netscape
mail), but I'd like it to work for the whole system (besides, I tend
to use mutt, for which I've found no documentation on how to do this).

Any tips?

Cheers,
-Ben

--