[ltp] some questions about linux and thinkpad

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:39:18 -0500

I can answer some of these as they apply to a T41 using fedora core1

Fiz Vázquez wrote:

> * works fine the light keyboard with linux?

Yes.

> * what is the best graphic card to use with linux? (radeon mobile 7500,
> radeon mobile 9000 or intel extreme 2)

Works well with a radeon 7500.  I'm not sure about "extreme 2" but in
general "extreme" means video memory is shared with regular memory.  So,
things run somewhat slower, and there is less memory available for
everything else.  All else equal, a separate graphics chip with its own
memory is preferable.

> * Have this cards (and thinkpad motherboard) suppport for multihead and
> xinerama?

I've used multihead in WindowsXP on the T41 just to see if it works, but
never set it up in Linux.