[ltp] Re: Sending email from laptops?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:11:41 +1100

On 1 Nov 2004, ben wrote:
> Hi!  Apologies for the non-Thinkpad-specific question, but it's
> definitely a laptop question, and I'm writing this from a Thinkpad :)
>
> What kinds of solutions do y'all use for sending email from the
> laptop?  Often I can't send because the receiver recognises that I'm
> spoofing my outgoing address (among things) and (wisely) bounces my
> mail.  What I think I'd like is something like this: my MTA (currently
> Postfix) logs me in to the pop3 server from which I retrieve my email,
> and use that as an authenticated relay.

That would be one traditional way of working around the problem, and the
one I ended up using.

[...]

> POP before SMTP isn't quite what I'm looking for: since it's my
> desktop running pop the pop server won't recognise my laptop when I go
> to send (I could log in to the pop server from my laptop before
> sending email, but that's ugly, since I'd have to make sure that I'd
> just done a "null fetchmail" shortly before every non-local delivery
> request lest the mail just bounce.  It could be done, but a more
> elegant solution would be less inelegant :)

There are two easy options:  either install `postfix-tls' and enable
SASL authenticated relaying, or have a look at UUCP over SSH or SSL.

Both of these are well documented on the 'net, so I don't go into great
detail here.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Real Programmers consider "what you see is what you get" to be just as bad a
concept in Text Editors as it is in women. No, the Real Programmer wants a