[ltp] Dial-Up Internet through Cell Phone & Bluetooth

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:30:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Nguyen The Toan wrote:
> Could you be more detail as what to do? I have a VX10 LG phone connecting to
> my TP X20 using USB-serial cable (ftdi_sio driver). But I don't know how to
> even initialize the modem in linux.

	Mine was connected through bluetooth -- I'm not sure how much of
this would be the same for USB.  But I did this:

1) edit /etc/bluetooth/pin to contain a numeric pin
2) turn on bluetooth using Fn-F5
3) /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
4) hciconfig hci0 up
5) hciconfig -a (just to review that it's up)
6) On phone, Settings->Connection->Bluetooth->Setup->Find Me
7) sdptool browse
8) Phone prompted me for pin, entered what's in #1 above
9) Phone said it connected, sdptool showed stats for phone (MAC/channel)
10) Edited /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf with info for phone (MAC/channel)
11) rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 [MAC] [channel]  (created /dev/rfcomm0)
12) kppp  - entered device /dev/rfcomm0 for modem, #777 for number,
    10digitphonenumber@vzw3g.com & vzw for username/password
13) clicked "connect" and woo-hoo --- it finally worked!

	While surfing for this stuff, I think I saw a page that claimed
that when the person plugged in their phone via a USB cable it created
/dev/ttyUSB0 and they used that for the modem device, but don't quote me
on that.

Aaron