[ltp] Dial-Up Internet through Cell Phone & Bluetooth

Eric Covener linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:38:35 -0400

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:09:14 -0500, Nguyen The Toan
<ntt@control.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you be more detail as what to do? I have a VX10 LG phone connecting to
> my TP X20 using USB-serial cable (ftdi_sio driver). But I don't know how to
> even initialize the modem in linux. I use the Verizon Mobile Office package
> in windows to browse the internet, which is the only reason I still have
> Windows partition on my harddrive :(
>
> Bests,
> Toan
I use the pl2303 usb cable (the non straight-through cable) with a
vx4400, and configure it with the following:

/etc/ppp/peers/verizon:

updetach
ttyUSB0
remotename verizon
230400
noauth
novj
novjccomp
defaultroute
usepeerdns
crtscts
user 10digitphone#@vzw3g.com
show-password
crtscts
lock
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/verizon_chat'
disconnect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/verizon_unchat'

/etc/ppp/peers/verizon_chat:

TIMEOUT 10
ABORT   'BUSY'
ABORT   'NO ANSWER'
ABORT   'NO CARRIER'
SAY     'Starting Verizon connect scriptn'

''      'ATZ'
OK    'ATE0V1'

SAY 'Dialing...n'
OK  'ATD#777'
CONNECT ''

And use the pon/poff fronteds to control the connection under debian,

I always get a little confused about what settings to do on the phone
(wait for data call?)...

You should see some debug stuff in the kernel messages when you
connect the cable, otherwise check your kernel config to make sure you
have drivers for your cable.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com