[ltp] Dial-Up Internet through Cell Phone & Bluetooth

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:25:26 -0600

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 13:44, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	I just got a Motorola V710 cell phone with Verizon service.  The
> phone supports bluetooth, and I've been able to connect to it using my
> ThinkPad bluetooth adapter unser SuSE 9.1.
>
> 	Now I'm trying to do dial-up internet through the phone.  I've
> heard this is possible (and just uses your regular minutes, which is fine
> as I'm only planning to do it for short periods when desperate).  I've
> managed to map the phone to a modem device and I was given #777 as the
> dial-in number for Verizon.  That works -- I get a connection.  But I'm
> getting a CHAP authentication error and it immediately disconnects.
>
> 	Has anyone done this, and do you know what username and password I
> should use?  (And of course if you're interested in the procedure for
> getting "almost there" let me know.)

Related to this...

I've done this via USB with my Treo 600 (PalmOS based phone), Sprint and
my ThinkPad running Linux. To do this required the "Wireless Modem" to
be install on the phone.

http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/

The device to tell pppd about is /dev/usb/ttyUSB1.

For sprint you dial #777 with any username and password.

Dax Kelson