[ltp] tuning with hdparm

Szakacsits Szabolcs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:11:16 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Peter Frühberger wrote:

> If you use an hitachi drive, then this isn`t a bug, it`s a feature.

Maybe it's a technical feature but it's definitely an ergonomic bug :-)

> had a telephone call with the hitachi people, it is called something
> like "low power" idle.
>
> You can try hdparm -B 192 /dev/hda this should normaly disable this
> feature and sets your drive into active idle.

I tried many -B values but AFAIR only the 254 helped. I can try 192
later on but given it helps, what would be the difference compared
to 254?

> I can provide you the hitachi mails, if you want to have them.

Yes, please. Probably other people are also interested. In the past there
were more talks about disk noises, though there are many different kind
and easy to confuse them (brand, model, settings, etc).

Thanks,
	Szaka