[ltp] Re: Physical screen size of the Thinkpad X31 and powersave mode

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 12:40:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Rémi Lambert wrote:

> Hello !
>
> Le Vendredi 3 Septembre 2004 14:58, Eric Covener a écrit :
> > I've seen sometimes SUSE fails to obtain the screen info info, but it
> > is present in xdpyinfo.
> >
> > xdpyinfo |grep dimensions
> >
> > This may be calculated and not really the # that you want.... but it
> > will shut that dialouge up.
>
> Yes, but It returns 347x260mm, which is evidently incorrect values because my
> screen is smaller than a A4 page...

The screen size may be set (at least on this machine) by editing
/etc/X11/XF86Config: in Section "Monitor", add the line

DisplaySize 390 292

(or whatever the correct horizontal and vertical dimensions in mm are).
Do the values here override those values probed from the monitor?  Either
they do, or my monitor supplies no such information (I think... sometime
in the past I commented that line out).  The actual value returned by
"xdpy | grep dim" is 520x390 (75 dpi).  Obviously that's wrong; my monitor
isn't half a meter wide.

                 Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
                    about who it makes friends with.