[ltp] tuning with hdparm

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:45:21 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-15] Peter Frühberger wrote:

> Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> sorry, I only got it in german:
>
> ===
> Vielen Dank fuer Ihre Anfrage.
>
> Wir gehen davon aus, dass das sporadisch auftretende Geraeusch Ihrer
> Festplatte die Idle
> Time Function ist, die bei den aktuellsten Festplattenmodellen eingefuehrt
> wurde, um
> die Zuverlaessigkeit zu verbessern.

Short translation is that this is the HD "idling" and the noise comes
from parking the heads, and that this is nothing to worry about since it
has no bad effects on the disk platters. Also, there's no way (according
to this message) to turn this off.

I also have similar loud noises with a used 25 GB drive I got on eBay. It
was one of the early 5400 rpm drives. So far, I've had it for over three
months, tested it extensively and am using it on a production system. Lots
of noises, but no failures or problems so far.