[ltp] Re: Physical screen size of the Thinkpad X31 and powersave mode

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:09:44 -0400

On Friday 03 September 2004 09:56 pm, Osho GG wrote:
> --- Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, R=E9mi Lambert wrote:
> > > Hello !
> > >
> > > Le Vendredi 3 Septembre 2004 14:58, Eric Covener a
> >
> > =E9crit :
> >
> > screen info info, but it

> > you want.... but it

> > > Yes, but It returns 347x260mm, which is evidently
> >
> > incorrect values because my
> >
> > > screen is smaller than a A4 page...
> >
> > The screen size may be set (at least on this
> > machine) by editing
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config: in Section "Monitor", add the
> > line
> >
> > DisplaySize 390 292
> >
> > (or whatever the correct horizontal and vertical
> > dimensions in mm are).
> > Do the values here override those values probed from
> > the monitor?  Either
>
> Yes, the values here will override values read from
> your Monitor. In my experience, I have found that it
> is best to use values for DisplaySize such that the
> calculated DPI is 96. I have found that freetype2 etc.
> font rendering libraries work best at that. So, if you
> resolution is 1024x768; you may want to try the
> display size
>
> DisplaySize 271 203

Wouldn't you want to use the actual dpi of your monitor here?  My T41's 140=
0 x=20
1050 flatpanel is actually 125 dpi, and fonts don't look good unless I use=
=20
that setting.