[ltp] Re: Physical screen size of the Thinkpad X31 and powersave mode

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:31:48 -0400

On Saturday 04 September 2004 12:25 am, Osho GG wrote:
> --- Greg Meyer <mdklists@gkmweb.com> wrote:

> > Wouldn't you want to use the actual dpi of your
> > monitor here?  My T41's 1400 x
> > 1050 flatpanel is actually 125 dpi, and fonts don't
> > look good unless I use
> > that setting.
>
> A lot of applications don't like 125 dpi - the fonts
> are too big. Also font anti-aliasing, specifically
> with sub-pixel renering works better with 96 dpi.
>
> With 125 dpi, I found that I had to change font
> settings at way too many places to not get too large
> fonts.

Okay, I understand, and this is getting OT, but the interesting thing is that
fonts are more accurately rendered in their actual size when you use the
correct dpi.  12pts is actually 12pts even though you find that too large.  I
do a lot of printing, and I need my fonts to be accurate.  In other words,
when I used 96dpi, which reduced 12pt fonts to something acceptable on
screen, everything printed too big.
--
/g