[ltp] Thinkpad Model Numbers

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:10:24 -0700

On Saturday 04 September 2004 06:35 am, J Paul Richardson wrote:
> I have an TP A31 model 2652-XXJ.  This one was factory refurbed by IBM.
> Unlike all of the other IBMs I've seen, the model number on mine is a
> little sticker that looks like it was placed over the original model
> number on the standard large IBM info label.  I tried lifting it up to
> see if this was in fact the case but the paper started tearing and I
> figured I'd leave it be.
>
> So my questions are:
> - does anyone know what IBM's number scheme is; ie - do the numbers
> decode into anything in particular?
> - does IBM renumber factory refurb units for tracking purposes, etc?

They do renumber refurbished units. My trusty 600e came to me with the last
three digits as IB1, and I have pretty much figured out it was originally a
4B1 unit. They do not change the first four digits.

As far as significance...you'll have to ask one of the IBMers on the list
because I haven't got a clue.
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273