[ltp] Thinkpad wifi

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:28:15 -0700

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:40:52 -0400, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:
> So, I'm still on the fence about getting a Thinkpad. I'd like to be sure
> I'm going to get good wifi support. The T42p that I'm looking at now comes
> with several wifi options, are any of these known to "just work"?
>
> IBM a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter (part #31P9705)
> Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Mini PCI Adapter (part #73P2805)
> Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b Mini PCI Adapter (part #31P8684)
>   (Hmm, I'd like 'g', I think)
> IBM PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (part #31P8605)
>   ('b' only also?)

Hi Norm,

I have a Thinkpad T42p with Intel's 2200BG wireless adapter. I am
using the ipw2200 drivers from their websites. As of right now, the
health of this drivers are as following:

1. the drivers work prefectly fine with 802.11b and with 128-bit WEP.
2. The drivers work somewhat but not very reliably with G rate yet
(irrespective of WEP).
3. The drivers do not support power management yet (so you have to
unload the module before standby and reload it after standby).

That doesn't sound too rosy. However, I am *extremely* happy with the
speed at which the driver is being developed and the responsiveness of
the developers on the mailing list. They are releasing new versions
very very quickly. I think by the time you get your T42p shipped to
you G might already be working. :).

cheers,
Osho