[ltp] Thinkpad wifi

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 15:24:44 -0400

On Saturday 04 September 2004 10:40 am, Norman Walsh wrote:
> So, I'm still on the fence about getting a Thinkpad. I'd like to be sure
> I'm going to get good wifi support. The T42p that I'm looking at now comes
> with several wifi options, are any of these known to "just work"?
>
> IBM a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter (part #31P9705)
madwifi

> Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Mini PCI Adapter (part #73P2805)
ipw2200, still beta
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

> Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b Mini PCI Adapter (part #31P8684)
>   (Hmm, I'd like 'g', I think)
cisco releases their own driver, but the airo module fully supports this in
kernel 2.6.3 and later.  The version in 2.6.8.1 works great.

> IBM PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (part #31P8605)
>   ('b' only also?)
ipw2100, fully functional
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/

I think the closest to just works is the cisco, since it is the only one that
doesn't need configuration and a firmware load, so it is available in the
kernel.
--
/g