[ltp] T41P dockingstation

Sat, 4 Sep 2004 15:53:44 -0400

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:59:46 -0500, Daniel Jimenez <djimenez@pobox.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm considering buying a docking station for use with my Thinkpad T41p.
> I'm currently running Gentoo Linux and use KDM on boot up to log in.
>
> My question is, if I buy the docking station, plug my thinkpad into it
> and start up will KDM come up on my external monitor or on the LCD. When
> I plug a monitor it comes up on the LCD. Very annoying.
>
> In Windows, if you boot up on the dockingstation with the laptop closed
> the video comes up on the external monitor.

I've never tried the docking station so I can't say for sure, but it
should work in linux.  you might want to try the latest xorg drivers.
The problem is many lid events now generate acpi events which X
doesn't properly handle.  there is some new bios code in the Xorg
driver to handle lide events better.  also by default if X detects a
monitor attached to both outputs it will produce a cloned output on
both heads.  if not you can force it with driver options.

Alex