[ltp] THinkpad t23 1.13ghz and mplayer

Nicholas Twist linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:03:12 +1200

Hi there everyone from New Zealand.
I am using a 1.13ghz Pentium 3 thinkpad with Yoper 2.1 installed. The
computer has 384mb of ram and plugged into the wall (for full speed). I
know I should tweak the mplayer settings but I am wondering why I am
getting choppy DVD playback. It loses sound too. The processor levels
are right up in the "red zone" too. I am using the VESA graphics driver
and using an outboard projector.
This is the first time I've tried watching a DVD on this (or any)
computer and was surprised it was so taxed by it. I am in awe that
people have made DVD playback possible, however the viewing experience
could be better on this computer as it stands. Has anyone got any tips
for how to get smooth DVD playback?
I am getting the digest so I anyone cares to email me back privately
that would be nice.

BTW, yoper 2.1 is really good. It installs a minimal operating system
with an integrated Openoffice setup. KDE 3.3 is used and Reiser4 is an
optional file system when installing. Full laptop functionality requires
rebuilding the kernel I believe (for this laptop anyway) but is usable
as is...

Thanks in advance for your replies, Nicholas