[ltp] Thinkpad wifi

Dax Kelson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 01:08:01 -0600

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 22:36 -0400, morpheus wrote:
> I have a T42p with the Atheros wifi chipset (part #31P9705).  I strongly
> recommend this one over the Intel chipset, primarily because the Intel
> set doesn't support 802.11g. I easily got the Atheros chipset to work
> with Linux (FC2, 2.6 Kernel) using the madwifi drivers.  I've had no
> problems in over three months using it.
> -James

I strongly recommend the exact opposite. And you wrong about the Intel
card not support 802.11g.

I'm using it right now on my T42p to send this email.

The Intel 2200BG card has 100% a open source driver that is being
prepared for inclusion in the official kernel tree in the not too
distant future. This means that the spring '05 releases of Linux
distributions will work without any extra work. Anybody will be able to
update and maintain the driver to make sure it continues to work with
future kernels as the kernel API changes. This will happen even if Intel
looses interest and moves their developers on to newer products.

The big drawback to the Atheros wifi, is that it taints the kernel
rending it unsupportable. The driver will never become part of the
official kernel tree due to the closed source pieces. You will always
have to go get the driver separately and compile it yourself. There is
no guarantee you'll be able to use this card in the future.

Dax