[ltp] System Hang on Logout

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:39:41 -0700

Gary:

If you can ssh in, kill off the session for the hung user by looking for
a pts session other than your session.  In my case I have an ssh session
under pts/0.  You can then use ps -ef and grep to find all of the
processes for that user and you can use kill {process id 1} {process id
2}...{process id n}.  Do not kill any processes NOT associated with that
pts session or you may end up with an unstable system.  BTW, this is
what I had to do when I put an unstable update on my system and I had to
ssh in and back out the update and reboot.

James McKenzie