[ltp] THinkpad t23 1.13ghz and mplayer

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:58:15 -0400

On Sunday 05 September 2004 16:03, after a long battle with technology,
Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:03:12AM +1200, Nicholas Twist wrote:
> > wondering why I am getting choppy DVD playback. It loses sound too.
> > The processor levels are right up in the "red zone" too. I am using
> > the VESA graphics driver and using an outboard projector.
>
> I would suggest avoiding VESA.

Aye.  Figure out which accelerated X server you need, use it instead.
Every graphics operation will be a lot faster.

> My T23 has a 866 MHz CPU, but [...] I use the "s3" driver for X, and
> the "xv" driver for mplayer.

s3?  Did you mean s3virge?  There is an s3_drv.so
in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but it lacks a man page, which isn't
a good sign--and I thought that the T23 was new enough that it used one
of the cards supported by s3virge instead.  That may be the proper X
server to use then.  Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and find the line that
says
   Driver "vesa"
change it to
   Driver "s3virge"  # maybe "s3", don't know
...restart X, see if things work properly.  You will *not* be able to
use -vo xv with mplayer and a projector connected to the laptop's VGA
port.  Most video cards have only one XV overlay and it's slaved to the
primary screen.  Some X servers can force the overlay to another
screen, but there's no option like that in the man page for s3virge.
HTH,

--
   ...they believe if something can't be proven to exist, it shouldn't
   exist.  They have an elegant proof that smoking piles of rubble exist