[ltp] [ACPI] fan always on: ACPI on IBM ThinkPad R51

pub@wigginghaus.de linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:12:50 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 9. September 2004 15:57 schrieb James Knott:
> Svein Larsen wrote:
> > I have an R50 and i think it was me who started this thread.
> > Can someone please update me if i missed something; is there a solution
> > to make the fan stop when only cold air coming out of the fan? Its
> > really annoying. I'am quite sure that when i boot Winoze (seldom tho :)
> > the fan often stops when computer is idle. It never happens when booting
> > into linux :/
>
> I'd rather have a fan that didn't stop, than one that didn't run.

Boy, I wish I could laugh at this... :( Just kidding...
Ok, here's my situation (R50): So far the only solution to stop the fan from
running ALL the time with Linux is compiling the latest ATI Driver (which is
not open and therefore not everybody's first choice) which has the energy
saving features. It works better than the original XFree Driver.  I am also
using speedstep with a 2.6.7 kernel. That way the fan pretty much behaves
like under Window*, which is far from being what you expect from a machine
that expensive. Oh - the latest Bios-Update (don't quite remember now which
version) solved the problem with the fan running a little faster every 4-5
seconds...

Nils