[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #609 - 6 msgs

Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:02:08 +1000

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:01, linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:
> Boy, I wish I could laugh at this... :( Just kidding...
> Ok, here's my situation (R50): So far the only solution to stop the fan
> from running ALL the time with Linux is compiling the latest ATI Driver
> (which is not open and therefore not everybody's first choice) which has
> the energy saving features. It works better than the original XFree Drive=
r.
> =C2=A0I am also using speedstep with a 2.6.7 kernel. That way the fan pre=
tty
> much behaves like under Window*, which is far from being what you expect
> from a machine that expensive. Oh - the latest Bios-Update (don't quite
> remember now which version) solved the problem with the fan running a
> little faster every 4-5 seconds...
>
> Nils

What video card do you have? is it Radeon 7500? My thinkpad R50 has that vi=
deo=20
card and all the ATI drivers I happen to see were not designed for this=20
particular model, if you are using 7500, could you give me a link to that=20
driver?=20

Also how did you update the bios, my thinkpad doesn't have floopy driver an=
d i=20
don't have windows, any ideas i can get my bios updated?

thanks

> Hey all --
>=20
> Has anyone tried the new X11R6.8 release from X.org on their Thinkpad
> yet? =C2=A0I have it running, but when I turn on composite mode with the =
eye
> candy (drop shadows, transparency) things move very slow. =C2=A0The log
> reports that DRI is working, so I'm not sure what the problem might be.
> =C2=A0 The videocard section from my xorg.conf is simply:
>=20

>I tried it as well. Suse is awesome - they had rpms yesterday.
>Xcomposite is really slow. I will have to turn it off soon i think. No
>drop shadows etc. for me.

my experience is that with xcomposite, the report says dri is running, but =
the=20
direct rendering is off, you can try glxinfo to test it, or glxgear to see=
=20
how fast it goes. i ended up downgrading to 6.7.0.5 cos that was how i can=
=20
get direct rendering back, BTW i am using radeon 7500, i downloaded the new=
=20
driver with dynamicclocks support and it didn't work at all. you might not=
=20
suffer from this if you have a different card.