[ltp] New ATI 3.12.0 drivers - seem to be worse than 3.9.0

Sasha Z linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:36:57 -0400

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

I have managed to download and install these drivers; but while the 3D
acceleration appears to be better, it crashes with a garbled screen
all the time. Whenever x.org goes into screensaver, or whenever I try
to switch between console and GUI, and whenever I try to shut down the
X server altogether - it hoses the system completely. Everything locks
up. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL nor do a soft power off. I can't SSH into the
machine either.

Version 3.9.0 was a little slower on the 3D side of things, I gained
about 50 fps in glxgears with the 3.12.0 drivers, but the crashing
makes me very sad.

Does anybody have these working properly?

T41p 2373GEU
ATI FireGL T2-128