[ltp] Re: DVD cpu usage; SOLVED

Joan Roig Amorós linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:49:41 -0400

Ok, thanks for your suggestions, but I solved it, although I don't really
understand how... as always some time and google did the trick.

The clue were dmessages like this:

mtrr: 0xe0000000,0x2000000 overlaps existing 0xe0000000,0x200000

and cat /proc/mtrr showing that the wrong amount of memory was allocated for
the video card. If I got it correctly, the vesafb was screwing the video ram
allocation?

anyway, booting with these boot parameters solved it:

video=vesafb:nomtrr,vga=0x318

(before it was only vga=0x318; I added this to have a smaller console font
size; my fault, not Debian's Installer)

now DVDs play using 10-20 % cpu, and I am happy. If I only knew what an mtrr
is...

 joan