[ltp] Re: DVD cpu usage; SOLVED

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:10:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Joan Roig Amorss wrote:

> anyway, booting with these boot parameters solved it:
>
> video=vesafb:nomtrr,vga=0x318
>
> (before it was only vga=0x318; I added this to have a smaller console font
> size; my fault, not Debian's Installer)
>
> now DVDs play using 10-20 % cpu, and I am happy. If I only knew what an mtrr
> is...

/usr/src/linux-2.4.26/Documentation/mtrr.txt says:

  On Intel P6 family processors (Pentium Pro, Pentium II and later)
  the Memory Type Range Registers (MTRRs) may be used to control
  processor access to memory ranges. This is most useful when you have
  a video (VGA) card on a PCI or AGP bus. Enabling write-combining
  allows bus write transfers to be combined into a larger transfer
  before bursting over the PCI/AGP bus. This can increase performance
  of image write operations 2.5 times or more.

In the (2.4) kernel configuration, there is "Processor type and features
---> [*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support".  That may be useful.
It is probably in 2.6, but it may be in a different place.

SAGITTARIUS:  All your friends are laughing behind your back... kill
them.  Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got
hanging in your den.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_