[ltp] Siegfried Hanisch/Austria/IBM is out of the office.

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:14:03 +0100

James Knott wrote:

> morpheus wrote:
>
>> The list administrator should be able to set up a filter to filter out
>> all mail that includes "is out of the office" in the subject line...
>

> Or perhaps change it to "out to lunch".  ;-)
>

>> However, "out of office" messages are dangerous for many other reasons
>> and should not be used...
>

> Quite so, the mail system should be configured so that those messages
> are only sent within the company and not the outside world.

They use notes, which is broken with respect to out of office
notifications to lists.

IIRC, when the recipient isn't listed in the To: field of the mail
headers, the MUA/MTA should never send an OOO notification...
Unfortunately notes doesn't notice (presumably because it's smtp support
is pretty rudimentary, notes tends to use it's own replication protocol
& RTF) and so blasts the notification out to everyone...

Personally I wish they'd fix it... The load balancing mailing list gets
pretty bad at times...