[ltp] [ACPI] fan always on: ACPI on IBM ThinkPad R51 (update)

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:39:51 -0400

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:28:11 +0000, Suso Baleato <susinho@ultreia.org> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> While waiting for second level support answer to the always-on fan
> problem I requested the original software, wich arrives to me today. I
> have a second HD so I decided to install it and try again. I found a
> "POWERPLAY" option in the XP's ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 driver, wich
> is a powersaving feature of this chip. Activating this thing, the fan
> stops *inmediatly* so apparently it exists a direct relationship between
> the graphic chip and the fan behaviour.
>
> I was seeking the last ATI proprietary driver but it does not seem to
> support this chip. Do you know if there are some driver for linux wich
> can use this feature? Other case... is anyone interested in developing
> it? :) I can do a lot of betatesting...

I added an option in xorg 6.8.0 called "DynamicClocks" that turns on
automatic clock scaling on radeons.  it's not a full powerplay
implementation (I don't think it handles the chip gating and such),
but it does help for some people.

Alex