[ltp] Journaling on a laptop?

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:09:16 -0400

--=-=-=

Not absolutely, specifically a ThinkPad question, but related to
battery life on ThinkPads, I think, so please forgive me :-)

What's the current thinking on journaling filesystems on a laptop? In
the past, I've used ext2 instead, based on the idea that the HD will
spin down and save battery life if I'm using a non-journaling file
system.

But I just started my T42p install and the defaults this time (it's
been a while since I installed anything from scratch) were all for
ext3. For the moment, I've gone ahead and let them be ext3, but I
wonder...

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--