[ltp] New ATI 3.12.0 drivers - seem to be worse than 3.9.0

Alex linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:51:58 -0700

--=-ht5s0vbslUMSZHm5QfJS

This is a known issue with the fglrx driver and X11-Xorg 6.8.0/6.8.1.
Using opengl crashes the X server because of slight binary
incompatibles. ATI is aware of this and have said they are looking into
the issue and will hopefully release a fixed version soon.

Until then your options are to either use Xorg 6.7x or to use 6.8 and
simply not load the glx module (you can leave the dri module loaded if
you so choose).

-Alex

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 09:46 -0700, Osho GG wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:36:57 -0400, Sasha Z <kleptophobiac@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> > http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html
> >=20
> > I have managed to download and install these drivers; but while the 3D
> > acceleration appears to be better, it crashes with a garbled screen
> > all the time. Whenever x.org goes into screensaver, or whenever I try
> > to switch between console and GUI, and whenever I try to shut down the
> > X server altogether - it hoses the system completely. Everything locks
> > up. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL nor do a soft power off. I can't SSH into the
> > machine either.
> >=20
> > Version 3.9.0 was a little slower on the 3D side of things, I gained
> > about 50 fps in glxgears with the 3.12.0 drivers, but the crashing
> > makes me very sad.
> >=20
> > Does anybody have these working properly?
> >=20
> > T41p 2373GEU
> > ATI FireGL T2-128
>=20
> I have T42p with ATI Mobility FireGL T2-128 and I just installed X.org
> 6.8. With ATI 3.12.0 drivers, if DRI is enabled then doing glxinfo at
> the command prompt crashes the X server!
>=20
> Which version of X.org are you running?
>=20

--=-ht5s0vbslUMSZHm5QfJS