[ltp] Re: ibm-acpi-0.4

Borislav Deianov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:20:02 -0700

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:12:04 +0000 (UTC) André Wyrwa <a.wyrwa@gmx.de> wrote:

> > The video output control can be used to avoid the annoying flicker and
> > video corruption when opening the lid on the X40. See the README for
> > details.
>
> can you describe the effect a bit more?.

On the X40, any video output switching causes video corruption. The
display first goes dark for a moment, then shows up again shifted down
about 70 pixels. The bottom part of the output is hidden and the top
is replaced with random garbage. The workaround is switching consoles.

When you open the lid, by default the DSDT switches to the LCD
display. This switching happens even if the LCD is already
active. Combined with the workaround, this looks really ugly and it
takes a while.

With ibm-acpi-0.4, you can disable the automatic video switching when
opening the lid. No corruption, no workaround necessary, the picture
shows up right away with no flickering.

> I'm experiencing strange heavy blue flickering/distortion on an
> external 1600x1200 TFT display (on port replicator), which occurs 1
> of 5 times the system shows the framebuffer. Switching between X and
> the terminal usually solves it (meaning that at random switches the
> effect occurs again).
>
> I'm wondering if this might help here, too?

Probably not, as all it really does is avoid the automatic display
switching. If I read the above correctly, that's not your problem...

Regards,
Boris