[ltp] T42 won't power off after shutdown/halt/poweroff

J.V. linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:51:46 -0600 (MDT)

Hi all,

I'm having an issue that many people seem to be having as well but
I'm having trouble finding a solution.

I can't get the system to turn off after a shutdown -h, halt, init 0,
or poweroff.  The screen turns off after a message displays about
powering off but the fan is still spinning and unplugging the AC
makes it beep.

I tried various combinations of the following lilo parameters:

   apm=off
   acpi=on
   acpi_sleep=s3_bios
   noapic
   nolapic

when use nolapic, it hangs during boot at:

   Calibrating delay loop...

Here's some pertinent information about my system:

Thinkpad T42 (2378-FVU)
Mandrake 10.0 w/kernel 2.6.8.1-2mdk (from cooker)

This hard drive was originally in a Thinkpad T20 which used APM just
fine (even screen blanking (Fn-F3) worked) but there seemed to be lots
of problems with APM on the T42 so I switched to ACPI (if I did it
correctly).

Here's some interesting processes:

# ps -eaf | egrep -i 'apm|acpi|power'
root         5     3  0 20:21 ?        00:00:00 [kacpid]
root      2789     1  0 20:22 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/acpid

Here's the kernel configuration variables from .config:

% egrep -i 'apm|acpi|power' .config
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INITRD=y
CONFIG_ACPI_TC1100=m
# APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI=m
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_ACPI=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_WACOM_ACPI=m
CONFIG_USB_POWERMATE=m

Please contact me if there are any further questions via internet mail at
thinkpad at sirveiss dot com.  Thank you very much!

-Jeff