[ltp] Journaling on a laptop?

Paul Sladen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:47:45 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Are you sure about that?  The laptop-mode script claims that the ext3
> commit option specifies the commit interval in seconds.

It does.

The bdflush values are in 1/100th of a second.

I use the following:

  $ cat /etc/fstab | grep hda
  /dev/hda5  /      ext3  errors=remount-ro,noatime,commit=900
  /dev/hda9  /home  ext3  errors=remount-ro,noatime,commit=900

  $ cat ~/bin/bdflush.sh
  #! /bin/sh
  echo 90000 90000 0 0 90000 90000 85 15 0 | sudo tee -a /proc/sys/vm/bdflush

  $ cat /etc/cpudyn.conf | grep '^[^#]'
  INTERVAL=1
  CPU_UP=0.5
  CPU_DOWN=0.9
  THROTTLING_LOW=7
  TIMEOUT=120
  DISKS=/dev/hda

I think I may also have done something to `syslog' to get it not
to flush() its logfiles ("-") or put makers in every 20minutes ("-m 0").

When I remember to set it going; I don't notice an improvement in battery
life, just a reduction in heat.  `laptop-mode' in the kernel would be
better, but this is a userspace solution otherwise.

You can go quite a while on shell sessions and have a silent
machine, but Mozilla/Firebird is the worst.  It doesn't seem to be able to
go from one page to the next without insistently hitting the disk ...not
even when going backwards.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  Nottingham, GB