[ltp] T42 won't power off after shutdown/halt/poweroff

J.V. linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:34:36 -0600 (MDT)

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the ideas.  I was finally able to get this to
work!

I upgraded to 2.6.8.1-10mdk from cooker and nolapic still hung at:

   Calibrating delay loop...

I also noticed that when using nolapic, a message appears during bootup:

   Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
   Found and enabled local APIC!

So I downloaded the source from cooker, changed the kernel config and
after recompiling kernel-2.6.8-1-10 w/o apic, that finally worked and
the system powers off completely when I shutdown.

Here's a diff from my .config and Mandrake's .config:

98c98,101
< # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
---
> CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y