[ltp] OT: how to time a ping command?

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:20:12 +0200

Hei,

> from ping.1:
>
>    -w deadline
>       Specify a timeout, in seconds, before ping exits  regardless  of
>       how  many  packets have been sent or received. In this case ping
>       does not stop after count packet are sent, it waits  either  for
>       deadline  expire  or until count probes are answered or for some
>       error notification from network.

Funny, that's exactly what i'm looking for, but my ping.1 doesn't
include this and neither does my ping.
Can you post your --version output please? Mine is from GNU inetutils
1.4.2 .

> ping -c 1 somehost > ping_output &
> sleep 1
> kill %1
> grep -q 'some_expr' ping_output && ip_up

Ahh...didn't know about the %1 thing, thx. I'll take that as a fallback
if i can't get my ping to support the -w option. ;-)

André.