[ltp] x31, X11R6.8 and Xinerama

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:39:35 -0400

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:12:54 +0200, Toens Bueker
<toens.bueker@lists0903.nurfuerspam.neuroserve.de> wrote:
> Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20

> >> Hm. Starting this configuration gives me a black LCD and X
> >> on my monitor. What I expected was a Xinerama configuration
> >> giving me a workspace spanning my LCD and my monitor.
> >>
> >> I've attached the Xorg.0.log - maybe it has any clues. The
> >> only thing I see is, that the second monitor is not
> >> detected. Is there any BIOS setting I need, to get this
> >> working?
> >
> > If the second mointor is not dected you need this option:
> >
> > option "monitorlayout" "LVDS,CRT"
> >
> > to force it on. make sure you have the proper crt2hsync and
> > crt2vrefresh options for your monitor as well.
>=20
> Ok. At least X is now coming up on the LCD, as well. But
> it gives me a strange resolution and certainly not
> Xinerama (CRT shows a clone of the LCD - although that
> option is commented out in that xorg.conf).
>=20
> The log is attached (this time).

several possible problems:=20
- Pageflipping has been know to cause problems in mergedfb mode.
- you seem to have forced your virtual size to 1024x1536.  this would
prevent a leftof or rightof senario from working since that would
require a virtual size of 2048x768. 1024x1536 would be appropriate for
above or below.  If you don't specify a virtual setting mergedfb will
automatically create a framebuffer of the appropriate size.  it looks
like the dpi calculated may also be wrong.  I'd suggest trying the
mergeddpi option if you have dpi problems.

>=20
> What does "Pseudo-Xinerama" mean? Is it possible to have
> different resolutions on LCD and CRT?

yes.  pseudo-xinerama is the "xinerama-like" extention provided by the
radeon driver.  it is separate from the real xinerama extension.

Alex