[ltp] T41 Recovery CD

Jan Kokoska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:48:43 +0100

R40, 2722, Czech Republic.

I sent them a single e-mail asking for CDs because in order to install
Linux I dd'ed the whole disk with zeros (I prefer my hdd clean and
tested). Unfortunately, I hit the HPA (Host Protected Area) and was
*not* able to disable it in BIOS (i.e. disk size changed when viewing it
with cfdisk/fdisk, but all write attempts to those sectors fail filing
up my S.M.A.R.T. log), which I consider a major fault and would still
like the 4 GB back.

What is your experience with disabling HPA/using full disk capacity?

Anyways, I described what I did like this, no doubt breaking warranty of
any kind.. and I got my 4 CDs in 3 days by courier. I was amazed of
course, but never used them.

Jan Kokoska