[ltp] T41 Recovery CD

Jan Kokoska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:31:51 +0100

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 08:39 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Jan Kokoska wrote:
>

> Well, when I created a partition with the SuSE installer, it extended onto
> the HPA.  An unpatched kernel would not read this partition (although
> SuSE's kernels would), so I'd guess that SuSE could dd over the HPA where
> some systems could not.  Also, if you erase the current partition table
> with fdisk (or maybe write a new one?), that may fix it.  Dunno; mine's
> still unfixed.

Creating the partition is one thing (writes to the first sector),
creating a filesystem another (writing inode superblocks to whole disk
including HPA). Were you able to create and mount an extX partition
using SuSE kernel?

I erased the whole disk with dd, standard procedure. When it got to the
end where HPA lives, it bombed out, no matter what the BIOS settings
were.

But you set me on track, it could be the kernel.. maybe it needs to do
something special to convince the disk controller it is OK, once BIOS
doesn't stand in the way.

Jan