[ltp] T41 Recovery CD

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Jan Kokoska wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 08:39 -0400, Eben King wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Jan Kokoska wrote:
>
> > Well, when I created a partition with the SuSE installer, it extended onto
> > the HPA.  An unpatched kernel would not read this partition (although
> > SuSE's kernels would), so I'd guess that SuSE could dd over the HPA where
> > some systems could not.  Also, if you erase the current partition table
> > with fdisk (or maybe write a new one?), that may fix it.  Dunno; mine's
> > still unfixed.
>
> Creating the partition is one thing (writes to the first sector),
> creating a filesystem another (writing inode superblocks to whole disk
> including HPA). Were you able to create and mount an extX partition
> using SuSE kernel?

Sure.  Everything acted normal until I compiled my own (not from SuSE
source) kernel.  Then I couldn't mount /usr until I rebooted under the
SuSE kernel.  Took me a while to figure out what was the problem.

> I erased the whole disk with dd, standard procedure. When it got to the
> end where HPA lives, it bombed out, no matter what the BIOS settings
> were.

#include <IANAProgrammer.h>

My guess is it's setting max_disk_blocks from what the hardware says, then
trying to access it through something which avoids the HPA.

> But you set me on track, it could be the kernel.. maybe it needs to do
> something special to convince the disk controller it is OK, once BIOS
> doesn't stand in the way.

Let me know how you get it to work.  I'll have to do the same thing to fix
mine one of these days.

   Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
   hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken