[ltp] Bootable USB CD rom, X31

Ken Firestone linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:01:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Eben King wrote:

   On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Ken Firestone wrote:

   > I am having a problem booting my Thinkpad X31 from the usb cdrom. The
   > bios is set to permit booting from the usb cdrom, and the cdrom is the
   > first device on the bootlist. Yet every time I try to boot a bootable
   > Linux cd (SuSE, Knoppix) it goes into  windoze.  Any thoughts or ideas?

   WAGs:

   Maybe the drive itself doesn't permit that.  Have you booted from other
   CDs/DVDs in this drive?

Do some of the USB cd drives do that? I haven't tried any other cds in
the drive, and I have no other computer which will boot from a usb drive.

   Are you sure it's a CD and not a DVD?  Maybe the drive doesn't like
   bootable DVDs.

Its definitely a cd. Windoze can read the disk in the drive.

   I booted my T40 from a USB solid-state drive, and the BIOS referred to it
   as a "hard drive", when I would have called it a "removable device".

Ken Firestone, W3CAT     | For every problem there is one solution
kenf@speakeasy.net	 |  which is simple, neat, and wrong.
ken@firestone.net        |   -- H. L. Mencken