[ltp] XP Key doesn't work!

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:05:23 -0400

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 05:58 pm, James Knott wrote:
> Nick Bower wrote:
> >>The key on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop won't work. I
> >>didn't try a retail XP CD yet with it - perhaps this would work?
> >
> > This was the subject of the original post - the key on the sticker on
> > the bottom of the laptop doesn't work with an XP retail CD. =A0Entirely
> > unexpected it was :( =A0You'd think I legally purchased a copy of XP to
> > install how I want...
>
> You'll find you can only use that Windows license on that computer.
> Even if you bought a full retail box, you are only entitled to use it on
> one computer. =A0You can't transfer to another computer, =A0with out
> permission from Microsoft. =A0This applies even if you bought a new
> computer, to replace one that had been lost in a fire or stolen etc.

I was told by the MS activsation lady, that I could move a XP Home retail=20
upgrade to another machine as long as I took it off of the original machine=
 I=20
installed it on.  The retail versions are transferable as long as they are=
=20
only installed one place at a time.  The oem versions are tied to hardware.
=2D-=20
/g