[ltp] tp-scroll and usb mouse wheel

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:17:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Giuseppe Castagna wrote:

>    I've installed on my X40 tp-scroll by using the rpms on the dag
> repository and it works like a charm. The only problem is that now when
> I plug an usb mouse its scroll wheel no longer works. Any suggestion?

> Section "InputDevice"
>
> #	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> #	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> #	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> #
> # Modification for tp-scroll
> 	Identifier  "Mouse0"
> 	Driver      "mouse"
> 	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> # Original Fedora generic mouse with scroll
> 	Option	    "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> 	Option	    "Device" "/dev/imouse"
> 	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> EndSection

Are you sure that's the correct protocol and ZAxisMapping?  I had to use
xev and xmodmap to find out what the scroll wheel (actually ring) did and
make it the way I wanted.  Of course that's on a desktop with a trackball.
On my T40, it's

option "device" "/dev/input/mice"
option "protocol" "auto"

and other installation-dependent stuff.  There are two similar sections,
the second one differing only by

option "buttons" "5"

No ZAxisMapping in either, although the same pad can scroll X and Y
in XP.  That's from a non-tweaked KDE.

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk