[ltp] tp-scroll and usb mouse wheel

Giuseppe Castagna linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:53:49 +0200

Eben King wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Giuseppe Castagna wrote:
>

>>   I've installed on my X40 tp-scroll by using the rpms on the dag
>>repository and it works like a charm. The only problem is that now when
>>I plug an usb mouse its scroll wheel no longer works. Any suggestion?
>

>>Section "InputDevice"
>>
>	Identifier  "Mouse0"
>>	Driver      "mouse"
>>	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>#
>># Original Fedora generic mouse with scroll
>>#	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>>#	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>>#	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>>#
>># Modification for tp-scroll
>>	Option	    "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
>>	Option	    "Device" "/dev/imouse"
>>	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>>EndSection
>

> Are you sure that's the correct protocol and ZAxisMapping?  I had to use
> xev and xmodmap to find out what the scroll wheel (actually ring) did and
> make it the way I wanted.   [snip]

This is the protocol to use tp-scroll, for those who do not know
tpscroll emulates the scroll wheel by moving the track point while
pressing the central button (as it is possible to do under WinXP). The
scroll wheel worked with the setting that I have commentd out. With
tp-scroll the behaviour of the external usb mouse became the same as the
track-point: if I press the central button and move the mouse vertically
it emulates the scroll wheel, but unfortunately the scroll wheel on the
mouse stopped working. So to precise my question, I'd like to know
whether:
- it is possible to modify the configuration above so that the track
point still emulates the scroll wheel but the scroll wheel of an
external mouse does not stop working OR
- it is possible to have two different configurations for mouse in X one
for the track point (with scroll wheel emulation) the other for a
_possible_ external USB mouse, with the old standard settings.

Thanks a lot

---Beppe---