[ltp] Re: T41 Recovery CD

Juergen Stuber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:31:45 +0200

Juergen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net> writes:
> Dax Kelson <dax@gurulabs.com> writes:
>>
>> Here is the HOWTO on making your own bootable/installable recovery
>> CD/DVD with WinXP plus all the extra software.
>>
>> It would have been nice if this was available when I did it.
>>
>> http://www.4saad.com/WhatsNew/Fresh_XP_Install/index.htm
>
> Thanks, I'll give it a spin.

Ok, I did it and also slipstreamed SP2 on top of it without any problems.

Except for running the MS-executables of bcd and the service packs
I did everything under Linux, I used the -b of bcd to get the iso file
and burn it on another machine where the burner is.

Now I have a CD labelled MSWXPPro_SP2_en, but haven't tried it yet,
as I have a few more doubts:

- Is that now a generic MS XP Pro install disk, or is it IBM specific?

- How well behaved are they these days, do I risk my Linux by using
  it to reinstall my MS partition?  (Recovery clobbers everything.)

- How should I proceed in order to install the IBM drivers and
  extra stuff with the least hassle?

Cheers

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/

Looking for consulting and project work in Mozart/Oz, Linux kernel, USB